[CT Birds] Coastal Center Marsh Tour - no Avocet

Frank Gallo fgallo at ctaudubon.org
Sat Aug 9 12:21:51 EDT 2014

Today's tour through the Wheeler Marsh behind the Coastal Center at Milford Point was a real treat. The weather was perfect with just a light breeze. Although, we didn't see any sign of the American Avocet that was first found on one of our summer camp canoe trips, and was seen again, yesterday in Stratford, we did see plenty of migrants and local breeding birds. Highlights included 3 northern waterthrushes, many swallows, including a couple of bank swallows, willet, spotted, least, and semipalmated sandpipers, glossy ibis, yellow-crowned and black-crowned night-herons, both egrets, a small group of what looked like teal (blue-winged?) and a slew of marsh wrens...  Our next trip is Saturday, September 13 at 2 pm. We'll hope to see you all there.

Frank

Frank Gallo, Director
Connecticut Audubon Coastal Center
1 Milford Point Road