[CT Birds] Eastern Screech-Owl, Monroe, Aug. 9th 9:50pm

James Winkelmann james.winkelmann at gmail.com
Sun Aug 10 10:26:07 EDT 2014

Had a calling Eastern screech-owl last night, Aug. 9th, around 9:50 while
walking the dog in the neighborhood.

Also, I've searched the ABA boards and only see Western Sandpiper on the
State cumulative list with no other specifics, but I'm wondering if anyone
sorting through peeps recently has spotted one?  I ask because yesterday in
Madison on the beach off Middle Beach Road I had what initially presented
as Semipalmated Sandpiper but on lengthy close inspection appeared for all
the world to be Western: heavily streaked breast and heavier, longer bill.

I didn't have a side-by-side with Semi as this was a solo bird, or it could
be an outlier Semip., but I've observed dozens of Westerns in coastal North
Carolina in the past and this bird sure looked like one!  If nothing else a
reminder to carefully sort out flocks, you never know.

James