[CT Birds] Brown Creeper, Yale Forest, Ashford, 8-7-14

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Thu Aug 7 21:14:20 EDT 2014

Had a great look at a Brown Creeper today. They have always  been in the
Yale Forest, but each year I felt lucky to see and hear one once or  twice.
The first time I heard one I had no idea what it was and I had to chase  the
sound several times until I finally caught up with one. But I think it's
such a unique sound that once you associate it with the bird you won't forget
what it is.
This has been a year like no other for many birds in the forest  and
Creeper is near the top of that list. Instead of  seeing/hearing one a  few times
I have heard them just about every time I've been there, and on many
occasions, 5 or 6 times in a day. But they are a hard bird to photograph, small,
move fast, and the camera doesn't like to focus on them because they blend
in  with the tree they're on. Here are links to some pictures I took today
and a  recording I made of one a while back.
Link to pics of Brown Creeper
Link to MP3 file of Brown Creeper

Don Morgan,  Coventry
mntncougar at aol.com