[CT Birds] 8/9 - Lighthouse Pt, Milford Pt, Stratford loop

Nick Bonomo nbonomo at gmail.com
Sat Aug 9 15:30:33 EDT 2014

Hi all,

I spent the morning into early afternoon birding between New Haven and
Stratford. Not much going on...all expected or continuing birds. Here are
some notes:

New Haven, Lighthouse Point - While I did not set up a dedicated migration
watch, some passerines were moving overhead, particularly Cedar Waxwings
and Red-winged Blackbirds. Only two Bobolink. The woods were quiet.
Full eBird list: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S19376472

Milford, Milford Pt - I only checked from the observation tower and
beachside platform. Most peep were out on the far breakwater. The
LONG-TAILED DUCK was hanging out on the sandbars.
Full eBird list: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S19377233

Stratford Marina - 55 Greater Yellowlegs (2 juvs), 5 Lesser Yellowlegs (one
juv), 1 Least Sandpiper, 5 Semipalmated Sandpiper, 5 Short-billed Dowitcher
(one juv)

Stratford Point - flyby American Kestrel

In Stratford, the Access Road pools are at perfect water level for
shorebirds. Unfortunately, the phragmites have grown up so much that it is
very difficult to see into the pools. I tried to climb down to clear a
path, but most were out of reach. A tool with a long handle is probably
necessary to clear some of the veg.

The pools at the entrance to Sikorsky Airport are also at a good water
level right now.

Nick Bonomo
Wallingford, CT