[CT Birds] Help Needed to Remove Fencing and Signs at beach bird nesting areas

Comins, Patrick PCOMINS at audubon.org
Tue Aug 12 10:58:23 EDT 2014

It is looking like we are going to have a great year for Piping Plover productivity in Connecticut, but there is one last bit of work that needs to be done to wrap up a successful season...removing the fencing and signage at the key nesting areas.  We are pretty short-handed this year, so any help we can get would be much appreciated.

We have three string fencing removal dates set by CT DEEP. The Audubon Alliance for Coastal Waterbirds would appreciate any volunteers who could help us out at these locations and times:

Monday, August 18th at 10:30AM - Long Beach in Stratford
Wednesday, August 20th at 10:00AM - Sandy/Morse Points in West Haven
Tuesday, August 26th at 10:00AM - Harkness Memorial State Park in Waterford

Assisting not only helps AAfCW but it also greatly aids those at CT DEEP who have extremely limited time. It also limits the stress on young, feeding and migrant birds. Please remember that taking down fencing in August can be physically demanding because of the potential heat and humidity, and those who join us should remember a few things:

-wear sunscreen
-drink plenty of water or sports drink
-do not attempt to carry too many stakes, there are enough volunteers and staff members so that no one should overexert themselves
-anyone who needs to limit physical exertion should stick to winding up string rolls
-take as many breaks as needed

In general we look for everyone we can to help out even if you are not a past monitor or volunteer - the more the merrier. It also makes for a more pleasant morning of bird watching and discussions on the beach. Please email us at ctwaterbirds at gmail.com<mailto:ctwaterbirds at gmail.com> if you can join us on any or all days, and thank you!

--
Audubon Alliance for Coastal Waterbirds
http://ctwaterbirds.blogspot.com

Patrick M. Comins