[CT Birds] Boston Hollow/Yale Forest, Ashford, 8-16-14 Louisiana Waterthrush

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Sat Aug 16 23:39:33 EDT 2014

Very Late LOUISIANA WATERTHRUSH today, along with a  Yellow-billed Cuckoo
calling and 5 Pileated Woodpeckers. L. Waterthrush was just  above the beaver
dam. There was a Northern in the same area.
YB cuckoo was calling near the south end of the dirt  portion BH Rd.
I heard a Pileated call, and in seconds, 2 more distant birds  answered
him. First time I ever heard that. Also saw one and heard another  separately.
Also had a couple of Wood Ducks, juvies, at the beaver  dam . Had to look
them up to be sure.
Link to very bad pics of Wood Ducks attached; good enough for  ID. 1 male,
one female.

http://1drv.ms/1m6YQeT

Ebird below.

Boston Hollow/Yale Forest, Windham, US-CT
Aug 16, 2014 8:45  AM - 1:15 PM
Protocol: Traveling
10.0 mile(s)
34 species

Wood  Duck  2     Juveniles - at the beaver dam - had to look them  up to
be sure
Broad-winged Hawk  3
Yellow-billed Cuckoo  1   calling at the south end of the dirt on B H Rd
Ruby-throated  Hummingbird  5     39 Barlow Mill
Red-bellied  Woodpecker  1
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker  1
Downy Woodpecker   1
Hairy Woodpecker  1
Pileated Woodpecker  5      Heard 1 call and 2, more distant, answered
within seconds; also 2 singles, saw  1
Eastern Wood-Pewee  4
Eastern Phoebe  6
Blue-headed  Vireo  2
Red-eyed Vireo  2
Blue Jay  25      18 eating choke cherries in an old clearcut. Very large
trees, 100 feet  plus
Tree Swallow  6
Black-capped Chickadee  15
Tufted  Titmouse  4
White-breasted Nuthatch  4
House Wren   1
American Robin  4
Gray Catbird  8
Cedar Waxwing   6
Louisiana Waterthrush  1     Calling very clearly and  close, just above
the beaver dam. Sounded like an adult
Northern  Waterthrush  1     calling
Black-and-white Warbler   8
Common Yellowthroat  4
Canada Warbler  1
Eastern  Towhee  4
Chipping Sparrow  10
Song Sparrow  2
Scarlet  Tanager  2     Fem/juv eating choke cherries
Northern  Cardinal  4
Baltimore Oriole  2     eating choke  cherries
American Goldfinch  12

Don Morgan,  Coventry
mntncougar at aol.com