[CT Birds] Boston Hollow/Yale Forest 8-9-14, season finally winding down

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Mon Aug 11 22:15:50 EDT 2014

Boston Hollow/Yale Forest, Windham, US-CT
Aug 9, 2014 7:30 AM - 12:30  PM
Protocol: Traveling
12.0 mile(s)
Comments:     Might  be my last report from BHYF for the season. Far fewer
birds seen/heard now and  with continuing north winds and cool temps I'm
guessing many birds have moved  out and more will continue to do so. It has
been a spectacular year in the  Hollow.
44 species

Turkey Vulture  1
Broad-winged Hawk   2
Mourning Dove  4
Ruby-throated Hummingbird  3   Being seen at the house on Barlow Mill Rd.
Resident reports he has  had up to a dozen of them.
Red-bellied Woodpecker  1
Downy  Woodpecker  3
Hairy Woodpecker  2
Pileated Woodpecker   1
Eastern Wood-Pewee  3
Eastern Phoebe  6
Great Crested  Flycatcher  1
Blue-headed Vireo  5
Red-eyed Vireo   4
Blue Jay  10
Common Raven  1
Tree Swallow   6
Black-capped Chickadee  20
Tufted Titmouse  4
Red-breasted  Nuthatch  1
White-breasted Nuthatch  8
Brown Creeper   2
House Wren  1
Carolina Wren  1
Eastern Bluebird   2
Veery  4
Hermit Thrush  3
American Robin  12
Gray  Catbird  8
Cedar Waxwing  8
Ovenbird  2
Northern  Waterthrush  3
Black-and-white Warbler  9     Lots  still in the woods - appear to be
mostly juvies, but a lot are still singing.  Often found with Chickadee flocks.
Common Yellowthroat   6
Chestnut-sided Warbler  1
Black-throated Blue Warbler  1   With Chickadees, Titmice, B+W and 2
Blue-headed Vireos
Pine  Warbler  1
Black-throated Green Warbler  1
Canada Warbler   2     2 birds continue to sing along Boston Hollow Rd.
Occasionally have heard others in the past week. Song of 1 is sometimes
garbled  and extended - I believe I heard juveniles mimicking adults earlier, so I
wonder  if this is one of them.
Eastern Towhee  4
Chipping Sparrow   10
Song Sparrow  2