[CT Birds] Boston Hollow/Yale Forest, Ashford; another threat for birds; A favorite bird

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Fri Aug 15 18:43:53 EDT 2014

Took another trip to Boston Hollow, 8-14-14 (Thurs) to see  who was still
there. Not a lot but some I didn't expect to find. I think this  weather,
with cool temps and continued winds from the north, is going to make  going to
make the birds move very quickly. More juvies than adults left now. Of
course there are quite a few birds who live in Boston Hollow and Ct year  round.
Ebird below.
A threat to watch for.
2 weeks or so ago I found a dead female Scarlet Tanager on  Barlow Mill Rd
near the new house. I was a little surprised because it's a dirt  road on a
curve, and most cars wouldn't go more than 15 mph. A couple of days  later,
I found a dead G. Catbird in exactly the same spot, and in another day  or
so I found a second 1. Of course I thought it was very strange, but I  had no
explanation other than car strikes.
Then I happened to meet the home owner. A tree crew had been  clearing the
lines that week and he said they refused to touch the tree near his  house
because the 440 volt electric lines were in it. Further, he said that he  had
seen sparks from the trees on windy days and at night. He knew I'd wonder
because they had seen me move the birds to the side of the road. The birds
were  electrocuted. They flock there because of his feeders. I looked at the
spot and  took pictures, and there was no doubt in my mind. the tips of the
branches were  burned off and some of the leaves were brown. Fortunately, by
yesterday CL&P  had responded and the tree was cut back a good 8 feet from
the lines. If you see  an dead bird in an odd place, look up.
Here's a link to some pictures of everybody's favorite  bird:
The perched bird is  juvenile (white beak), 6-13-13; The  soaring  bird is
an adult (yellow beak) 8-14-14
Boston Hollow/Yale Forest, Windham, US-CT
Aug 14, 2014 8:30 AM - 2:30  PM
Protocol: Traveling
12.0 mile(s)
Comments:     very  quiet early and only a few spots of real activity.
36 species

Turkey  Vulture  6
Broad-winged Hawk  1
Red-tailed Hawk  2   Same pair I have seen several times. Both birds are
extremely  pale
Mourning Dove  6
Ruby-throated Hummingbird  6   39 Barlow Mill Rd
Red-bellied Woodpecker  1
Downy  Woodpecker  3
Hairy Woodpecker  2
Pileated Woodpecker   1
Eastern Wood-Pewee  2     Only calling  occasionally
Eastern Phoebe  3
Great Crested Flycatcher   1
Blue-headed Vireo  5     Not very enthusiastic but  still singing regularly
Red-eyed Vireo  3     numbers  seem to have dropped way off. Very little
Blue Jay  4
Common  Raven  1
Tree Swallow  8
Black-capped Chickadee   12
Tufted Titmouse  6
White-breasted Nuthatch  4
Carolina  Wren  2     adult singing, juvie foraging
Eastern  Bluebird  2
Hermit Thrush  0     first time since  spring that I have not heard at
least one.
American Robin  4   numbers way down
Gray Catbird  6
Cedar Waxwing   6
Ovenbird  1
Northern Waterthrush  2     no song  but call notes from 2 together.
Sounded like NOWA and probably were 2  juvies.
Black-and-white Warbler  8     Only warblers  around in significant numbers
Common Yellowthroat  4
Black-throated  Green Warbler  1     juvie
Canada Warbler  1   Surprised to find one still singing. it was 1:30 PM
Eastern  Towhee  4
Chipping Sparrow  8
Song Sparrow  3   At the mill pond. Seen, not singing.
Northern Cardinal   2
American Goldfinch  8

Don Morgan,  Coventry
mntncougar at aol.com