[CT Birds] Bird ID help needed please.

Frank Mantlik mantlik at sbcglobal.net
Sun Aug 17 11:05:39 EDT 2014

Hello Joy,
To me it looks like a juvenile Common Gallinule (formerly called Common Moorhen). Fairly uniform dark back, sides, body; appearance of white under tail; dark short stout bill, with perhaps paler tip; long pale (greenish?) legs. The combination of these field marks would rule out a young rail.
Good to hear from a Michigan birder! I lived there for 8 months back in 1977.

Frank Mantlik
Stratford, CT