[CT Birds] Tiny Heron/Egret at West Haven Boat Ramp.

Robert Hutton rvhuk at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 18 18:15:41 EDT 2014

Traveling without my camera this morning I saw a very small white heron or egret which was dwarfed by the gulls on the ramp. The bird had yellow lores and thin greyish bill with greenish legs and feet. I have never seen a White Juvenile Little Blue Heron and I noticed that a few have been sighted. I took pictures with my cellphone but they are unclear.  The gulls harassed this heron/egret and it moved from one side of the ramp to the other before it moved off towards Sandy Point at about 7:30 a.m.

This morning's sightings.

West River at the Green Street/Washington Avenue Bridge off E.T. Grasso, in order of sighting from daylight.

Great Egret
Ring-billed Gulls
European Starlings
Belted Kingfishers
American Crows
House Sparrows
Northern Mockingbird
An unidentified long legged shorebird. (Greater Yellowlegs size without yellow legs.)
Laughing Gulls
Herring Gulls
Double Crested Cormorants
Osprey
Canada Geese
Chimney Swifts
Great Blue Heron

Kimberly Avenue Bridge

Great Black-backed Gull

West Haven Boat Ramp

Mute Swans
Rock Pigeons (Beautiful dark pigeon with white wings included.)
Herring Gulls
Ring-billed Gulls
Juvenile Laughing Gull
Common Grackle
Least Terns
The Little Egret/Heron

Long Wharf New Haven

Song Sparrows
Mallards
Least Sandpiper
Barn Swallows
Semi Palmated Sandpipers
Semi Palmated Plovers
Greater Yellowlegs
Drake Greater Scaup
White Release Doves|

Lenny and Joe's Fish Place had the usual array

Ring-billed Gulls
Double Crested Cormorants
Osprey
Herring Gulls
Laughing Gull ( first sighting here)
Female ( or juvenile?) Scaup.
Great Egret

Robert Hutton
New Haven,
203-809-1763

I have a photo of what appears to be a non breeding Bonaparte's Gull from Sandy Point on Saturday Morning