[CT Birds] Bird ID help

Coolsweetjoy at aol.com Coolsweetjoy at aol.com
Tue Aug 19 21:15:24 EDT 2014

Greetings,

First I'd like to thank Kathy and Frank for their input  on helping me with
the bird in question for ID help.

Kathy I have seen a Sora before and altho Soras are in  the area I was
birding, I've seen and heard a couple of them there, I really  don't believe the
bird is a Sora.

Frank, glad to meet a fellow Michigander.  I can  believe the bird is
possibly a juvie Moorhen or Common Gallinule as they now are  called.  I have
seen adult Moorhens which are easy to ID.  I'm not  sure where in Michigan you
were located Frank but I saw this bird at Lake Saint  Clair Metropark
(formally Metrobeach).  The only problem I have with your  ID of the bird is the
bill.  I know the juvies don't have the red on the  upper part but to me the
bill looks different in shape and length.

Thank you for your expertise,

Joy Barron
Michigan