[CT Birds] Nighthawks, Eagleville (Mansfield), 8-20-14

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Wed Aug 20 20:40:41 EDT 2014

There was a tremendous flight of Common Nighthawks this evening  over the
Willimantic River, just north of the Eagleville Lake dam. The birds  stayed
farther north than usual, so most of my sightings were bins and scope  only,
but I counted one flock of 390 (very low, I'm sure). I saw flocks of birds
at least 10 times or so, but I have no way of knowing if they were the same
birds or different flocks moving through. I counted well over 300 twice
more,  but also had many smaller groups, from about 170 down to as few as 8. If
they  were all different birds (unlikely) there would have been well over
1000.
I saw the first birds at 6:45 (but I had just gotten there) and  the last
ones at 7:45 (I left then - almost dark). Normally the birds follow the
river down to and past Eagleville, but tonight only a few ever made it that far
south. Must have been a good hatch up north. In previous years I have seen
as  many as 250 in a single flock there.

Couple of pics at the link below. Note that the bird appears to  have a
large hole or indent in its right side.

http://1drv.ms/1AzncGD

Don Morgan,  Coventry
mntncougar at aol.com