[CT Birds] Nighthawks, Eagleville (Mansfield), 8-20-14

Grace, Sean sgrace at audubon.org
Wed Aug 20 21:33:46 EDT 2014

We went to the Housatonic Valley Regional High School to release 6 Chimney Swifts tonight.  When we arrived at 7:00 there was a flock of over 300 night Hawks passing over head down the  Housatonic River.  Then another 200, then another 100 then 75.  It was epic and Zach Adams our educator and I both counted similar conservative numbers.
675 total.

It was so exciting to see.  Then we released 6 Chimney Swifts that circled with a gathering flock above the huge chimney for an hour before diving inside to roost for the night.  It was a super sighting with many dedicated wildlife volunteers enjoying the spectacle.

Sent from my iPhone