[CT Birds] Guilford - Leete's Marsh Update

Timothy L Thompson twodogs77 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Aug 22 21:01:39 EDT 2014

Leete's Marsh - 5:50pm to 7:45pm - Wilson's Phalarope present until 7:25pm, then flew east back over Rte 146 and railroad tracks with Yellowlegs ensemble. Relocated Baird's Sandpiper approx. 75 yds in front of 35 mph sign (facing south) by the White House on Rte 146. Baird's feeding back from the pack along edges of marsh. Still there when vicious onslaught of skeeters ended my happy hour.  I was awed earlier by the Wilson's behavior.  It would dart and sew from side to side,  almost laying its cheeks on the surface of the marsh flotsam.  After careful inspection, I noted the Phalarope was using its long slender bill (like chopsticks) picking off beetle type bugs off the flotsam surface and with great success. Fascinating display. A most excellent subject.

Timothy L. Thompson
Norwich, Ct.

Sent from my iPhone