[CT Birds] Unidentified Buteo

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Sat Aug 23 22:04:34 EDT 2014

I re-read James'  post and the lightbulb went on. I'm  sure the "distinct
white patches on what I'd figure were primary coverts (top of  the "wrist"
are what we refer to as "crescents";  translucent little arcs just inboard of
the primaries. They are absolutely  diagnostic for Red-shouldered Hawk, and
once they are seen well there is no need  to go further. That means it IS
and RS. They are not white  coloring, they are areas that let light through,
so you have to see the  bird at the proper angle against the right
background, but once you do, the  debate is over.

Don Morgan,  Coventry
mntncougar at aol.com