[CT Birds] Lone Ruby Throat in Chesire Backyard

brainardsj brainardsj at cox.net
Mon Aug 18 23:14:11 EDT 2014

I've been reading about the large groups of hummers around the state.  Here in my Cheshire backyard I've had a lone male Ruby all summer long.  This is because he agressively chases all others away!  From time to time a female will visit the feeders or flowers and the male will, within moments, actively drive her away.  I've even seen him chase Chickadees and Titmice from the nearby safflower feeder.  Is this normal behavior?