[CT Birds] Wader pics

Mark Szantyr birdinggeek at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 07:42:31 EDT 2014

Don's excellent comparison of a juv and adult Snowy Egret points out just how variable herons and egrets can be depending on age and breeding condition. It is a very good idea to study all of these birds very carefully. A surprising array of anomolous egrets are occuring in the Northeast and farther afield this season: the Tricolored  x Little Blue Heron at Hammo, perhaps a second hybrid from a similar subsequent nesting at the same location, several Snowy  x Tricolored Herons at Scarborough Marsh in Maine, a head- plumed Snowy- type Egret in Colorado which has several characters, while still a Snowy Egret, that might lead one down the Little Egret path.  Careful study as Don was doing, copious notes, and good, clear photos can provide extensive learning for us all. And while I have your ear, if you find something you are not sure of and you do not take photos, call any of the state's excellent field photographers and we would be only too happy to help document your find. Despite recent popular opinion, we are not THE DEVIL!

Mark Szantyr