[CT Birds] Nighthawks, Eagleville (Mansfield), 8-20-14

Grace, Sean sgrace at audubon.org
Thu Aug 21 08:55:43 EDT 2014

FYI...the swifts are part of 20 we have rehabilitated this year and we are looking to release more next week.  The chimney at the school is a roost for hundreds of chimney swifts at this time of year.  Tentatively, weather depending, we are looking towards next Wednesday if anyone is interested.  I will try to do another announcement the day of the release scheduled for around 7:15.  Our releases will then join the flock and circle be for roosting right before dark.

The night Hawks were unexpected.  Right as we arrived we were expecting swifts and well above the Chimney swifts were waves of migrating Common Night Hawks.  I am making a note of the date and we will keep an eye peeled for next year's flight.