[CT Birds] Rentschler Mowing

Comins, Patrick PCOMINS at audubon.org
Thu Aug 21 17:20:56 EDT 2014

?Just a heads up that mowing may start at Rentschler Field as early as tomorrow.  Unlike the events of the spring this is a closely coordinated process.   The mowing is ahead of the opening of the UCONN football season and Audubon Connecticut has been working with the DEEP Wildlife Division monitor the situation and we have been visiting the site to gauge the grassland bird activity.    The nesting activity has tapered significantly in the last week and on my visit today I only had one juvenile Grasshopper Sparrow remaining on site as well as some Savannah Sparrows and Eastern Meadowlarks, all of which were foraging on the short-mowed areas around the helipad and behind Cabela's Pond.

Nesting activity was last observed in the southern half of of the field, which is going to be evaluated over the weekend as a precaution before any mowing occurs there.   Typically, August 15th is the green light date in Southern New England for sites with nesting Grasshopper and/or Savannah Sparrows, but we are trying to give some extra time.

I have some recent shots from Rentschler in this folder, along with some shots over the course of the season.   It should be set so anyone can view it even if your are not on Facebook.

Today there were quite a few Empidonax flycatchers hunting along the hedgerows (presumably mostly Trail's type).  I had a view of one good candidate for Yellow-bellied Flycatcher (crested appearance, very strong complete eye ring and bright yellow belly and breast), but unfortunately couldn't get a photo of that one.  I did get a shot of one that is fairly bright yellow below (included in the above link), but I am thinking it is a Trail's type.

Patrick M. Comins
Director of Bird Conservation

Audubon Connecticut
185 East Flat Hill Road