[CT Birds] Lighthouse Point Park Sunday ng August 24

Steve Mayo and Rebecca Horowitz rsdmayo at sbcglobal.net
Sun Aug 24 11:29:04 EDT 2014

I took Dana Campbell's earlier advice, donned my brightest red T-shirt and headed over to the Lighthouse hawk watch (0830 to 1030).  The shirt worked - once.  I had a single RT Hummingbird whiz past within 4 feet.  Otherwise things were slow:  one Baltimore Oriole, a local Coop and Red-tail, up to 5 Osprey milling/feeding.  Winds remained steady, light NW.

The entire center of the Park is dominated by a very well drained, hard granite surface with short grass.  This expansive lawn is a critical habitat for migratory and wintering birds.  It has supported many CT rarities during decades of observation.  It is also a perfect natural surface for parking cars.  This occurs extremely rarely, perhaps for a few hours, a half a dozen times a year.

About a quarter acre of the park has recently been sloppily paved with compressed, ground asphalt.  The entire Park is scribed in chalk lines.  I will try to find out more about the destruction of this IBA, but does anyone else have any information that they could share?

Steve Mayo