[CT Birds] Question

kevindoyle01 kevindoyle01 at charter.net
Mon Aug 25 23:51:10 EDT 2014

I am wondering if anyone can give me some info about feeding birds in the summer.

I have 5 feeders that hold 9 cups of black oiled seeds ( forgot the exact name) that the birds are going through in a 24 hour period.

The birds are ... gold finches, house and purple finches, downy, hairy, red belly woodpeckers, flickers, nuthatches, titmice, chickadees, carolina wrens, catbirds, cardinals and a few others that I can't ID.

These guys appear at sunrise and don't stop feeding till sunset. I would assume there would be ample natural food for them.

Not to mention a blocks of suet.

Should these guys being fed this much on a near daily basis since they know the seeds are there it's easier than foraging natually?

For the past few days I've stopped filling the feeders and I believe the birds have moved on. Presently there have been doves picking up what's on the ground.

Is stopping not the correct thing to do or should I just cut back and see what happens.

Thanks for any help or thoughts.

Kevin from New Milford, CT

kevindoyle01 at charter.net

Sent on the new Sprint Network from my Samsung Galaxy S®4.