[CT Birds] Extralimital Mass pelagic highlights 8/23-24

Frank Mantlik mantlik at sbcglobal.net
Tue Aug 26 00:26:17 EDT 2014

About 8 gung-ho CT birders were aboard the Brookline Bird Club (MA) Extreme Pelagic trip last weekend Aug. 23-24. Organized by Ida Giriunas and others, we sailed from Hyannis and traveled about 100 miles offshore to Hydrographer's and Dogbody Canyons at the edge of the continental shelf. It was a terrific (though bouncy) trip, with the following highlights:
3 BLACK-CAPPED PETRELS, five species of shearwaters including a record MA number of AUDUBON'S SHEARWATERS, 1 WHITE-FACED STORM-PETREL, a few each BAND-RUMPED and LEACH'S STORM-PETRELS, a juvenile RED-BILLED TROPICBIRD, numerous RED-NECKED and a few RED PHALAROPES, SOUTH POLAR SKUA, several LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULLS, 8 BLACK TERNS, POMARINE, PARASITIC, and LONG-TAILED JAEGERS. Non-bird highlights included a rare WHALE SHARK, several pods of Dolphins, and flying fish.

A selection of my photos from the trip can be seen here (as always, click on the thumbnails to see a larger photo):

https://www.flickr.com/photos/avocetfm/sets/72157646454757059/

www.flickr.com/photos/avocetfm

Frank Mantlik
Stratford, CT