[CT Birds] Kestrel color band sightings

MIN HUANG mhuang at snet.net
Wed Aug 27 22:22:19 EDT 2014

Hi All,

With migration beginning and hordes of birders out there I wanted to pass along a note regarding kestrel color bands.

Tom Sayers and DEEP have continued using colored leg bands to identify American kestrels that nested or hatched in Tom's eastern CT study area. This year we color banded  97 young birds. The color bands, depending on the pattern, can be found on either the right leg, the left leg, or both legs. Each color combination represents a unique nest box in his study area. We have received sightings from MA of our birds, as well as learning a lot about fidelity and affiliations here.

If you see a kestrel with color bands on its legs, please email Tom at sayers.tom at gmail.com<http://sayers.tom@gmail.com>. Or, report the bands on the BBL website (which is where you should be reporting all color banded birds).  When emailing Tom directly, please include the date and time of your observation, the location (closest road junction or GPS coordinates), the color scheme of the bands, as well as your contact information. Sightings of these little falcons are an important part of the research. These sightings can help determine the migration corridors of these birds, their general movements during post fledging dispersal and the degree to which they return in subsequent years to breed in Connecticut.

Thanks for your help!!

Min T. Huang, Migratory Bird Program Leader
CT Department of Energy and Environmental Protection
391 RT 32
N. Franklin CT 06254
860-642-6528 (p)
860-642-7964 (f)