[CT Birds] Fish in the sound?

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Sat Aug 30 17:56:03 EDT 2014

I noticed that, while there were lots of Osprey circling  Lighthouse point
on Thursday, we only saw one carrying a fish. In past years,  sometimes
every bird we saw would have a fish. I also had half a dozen  Osprey way up high
like the Eagles we saw. the ones I saw seemed to  end up turning and
circling back, but it isn't normal for them to be up  that high, although the
strong NW wind may have played a part in  that.
 I notice that Dana had three Osprey migrating on Friday,  and Quaker Ridge
reported 15 or so. This is so early it's almost unheard of.  Last year in
the first week of September we also noticed that the birds seemed  to be
heading out already, and by the end of the month there were almost none  left.
Normally that's when they start leaving. But it was widely known that  there
were few if any baitfish in the sound and almost none of the Osprey we saw
ever had fish. When they did it was likely as not a flounder, rather than
the  usual menhaden.
So, I would like to know if any of you that spend time boating  on the
sound, fishing or otherwise, have any impression of the current situation  with
baitfish. I'm afraid it could be another early migration for the Osprey
again if the supply is low.

Don Morgan,  Coventry
mntncougar at aol.com