[CT Birds] Fish in the sound?

lpflynn at optonline.net lpflynn at optonline.net
Sat Aug 30 23:17:04 EDT 2014

On his website, Dr. Bierregaard mentions from several weeks ago...
"Shorebirds have been moving south from their arctic breeding grounds for almost a month now, and warblers are beginning to show up, so our Ospreys will be moving soon. In fact, the hawk watch site at Corpus Christie, TX, has already reported the first Ospreys of the season. These will almost certainly be females--probably from failed nests--because adult females leave before males. Most females head south in mid to late August. Most males and juveniles start their migrations in the first two weeks of September."

Mark, from monitoring Norwalk Island Osprey's, I see the same thing, if there are no fledges, there is no reason for the adults to hang around any longer.
I would take a stab at it and conclude that if the adult (s) have a failed nest, they hang around for a while (always June,then some July) near the nest and then disperse, perhaps moving southward, but not always.
Bierregard TRAX shows these birds as sort of wandering about. Especially the bachelors
It's amassing how many miles Osprey can cover in a day or two and come back to the same roost at night.

Best,
Larry