[CT Birds] Birds seen on Farmington River

Katherine Kuckens katkuckens at gmail.com
Sun Aug 31 13:12:33 EDT 2014

My husband and I kayaked 9 miles on the Farmington yesterday (8/30), from
the Rte. 4 bridge north to the sycamores in Simsbury.

We saw:

5  kingfishers
1 Osprey
Many fat little gray/white birds skimming the river surface
8 Great Blue Herons
Numerous common merganser females
4 Cedar Waxwings
Goldfinches
Kildeer
Eastern Kingbird
4 mature Bald Eagles

I think Bald Eagle numbers 3 & 4 might have been the same eagle.  The first
two we saw about a quarter mile apart. Spooked by our paddling, each one
rose out of a tree and soared overhead, then flew upstream (south).  I
almost didn't see the third one. As I was drifting quietly towards a tree
stump in the middle of the river, it rose straight up from the tree trunk,
not 35 feet from me.  It circled me at about mid-tree height, then flew
low, downstream (north).  About 20 minutes later, as we rounded a curve,
there was a large cracking and breaking of branches overhead, which was the
sound of the 4th (or same as the 3rd?) eagle pushing off from a low tree
branch. As it flew by we could hear -- and it seemed, feel -- the powerful
beat of its wings.

Katherine Kuckens