[CT Birds] Just Announced! Sept 27 & 28 Overnight Pelagic out of Cape Cod

Nick Bonomo nbonomo at gmail.com
Mon Aug 25 18:32:00 EDT 2014

I know this is always of interest to Connecticut birders. The Brookline
Bird Club has just announced a relatively last-minute overnight pelagic out
of Hyannis, MA scheduled for the weekend of Sept 27 & 28. This is the exact
same overnight trip that is usually offered only once per year and sails on
average every *other* year due to weather luck. We just completed this
year's trip this past weekend with great success. The overnight trip before
that, in Aug 2012, was also amazing.

A quick summary of this year's trip:
Watch Massbird for the upcoming full report.

This year we have the opportunity to do this for a second time. The annual
August trip, which is announced during January each year, sells out months
before the trip and has a waiting list. This has become the most reliable
pelagic trip in North America for White-faced Storm-Petrel, and the mega
rare Barolo Shearwater has been seen by us in these waters twice (once on
the 2012 overnighter, and once on a single-day trip in 2007). There have
been very few deep-water pelagic trips organized for New England waters in
September, and it stands to reason that White-faced Storm-Petrel and Barolo
Shearwater may be just as likely, and perhaps even MORE likely, during
September. The rarity possibilities, in addition to the more expected
species, are very exciting.

See the below information from organizer Ida Giriunas. Note that the
deadline to get enough participants signed up is Sept 6th.

We have an opportunity to rerun the recent very successful Extreme August
Pelagic trip at the end of September. The birds seen in August were the
White-faced Storm-petrel, Black-capped Petrel, Red-billed Tropicbird,
dozens of Audubon's shearwaters, a few Band-rumped storm-petrels, a few
Leach's Storm-petrels and a SOUTH POLAR SKUA as well as our common
shearwaters, jaegers and phalaropes. Also seen was a WHALE SHARK and a
TIGER SHARK.. We have Master birders such as Jeremiah Trimble, Marshall
Iliff, Nicholas Bonomo, Mark Faherty, Luke Seitz, etc. leading our trips.
Our boat, the HELEN H, is a very comfortable, fast, 100 foot fishing boat
with a knowledgeable and enthusiastic Captain and crew. We use gallons of
chum to attract the birds.. There are 38 bunks aboard which will be
available to the first 38 who sign up. There is a full galley with
excellent food at reasonable prices.
Parking is free.

Please let us know if you would be interested. We need enough people
registered by 9/6 to plan to do so. So, if you want to join us, contact
Ida Giriunas at ida8 at verizon.net
(781-929-8772) for further information and waiver forms.

September 27,28, 2014 Hyannis to Hydrographer, Veaches, Atlantis Canyon

5:30 AM Saturday - 6PM Sunday

for WHITE-FACED STORM PETREL, Band-Rumped and, Leach's Storm-Petrel,5
Shearwater species (including possible BAROLO), 3 Jaeger species, terns,
gulls and sea ducks, possible Tropicbird, bridled tern, other rarities.
Cost: $295 BBC Members, $310 non-members.

Ida Giriunas

For the Brookline Bird Club"

I hope to again see several CT residents on board!

Nick Bonomo
Wallingford, CT