[CT Birds] Seabirds and oceans: new indicators of big changes?

Thomas Robben robben99 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 27 22:23:35 EDT 2014

Dear Birders and other Naturalists,

Here is a remarkable article which you may want to read, largely about
declines in seabirds. It was published by National Geographic today,

Iceland's Seabird Colonies Are Vanishing, With "Massive" Chick Deaths

I want to suggest that all of us "birders", from occasional backyard
watchers, to marine ornithologists working in the arctic, are going to have
to somehow raise the priority around this issue, of apparent declines in
seabirds and oceans.  Along with marine scientists, the fishing community,
and some others, we seem to be the group that is most concerned about (and
probably most knowledgeable about) these striking changes, and we should
find some better ways to address this, if possible.

Not sure how much of this is understood, or if good approaches/solutions
are in the works, but I think we need to learn more about this, to see if
there are any additional constructive things we could do. We need to think
about these changes and what is possible going forward. We cant just watch
this and do nothing. Food for thought.

Tom Robben
robben99 AT gmail.com