[CT Birds] exact spot for phalaropes

Frank Mantlik mantlik at sbcglobal.net
Thu Aug 28 11:31:15 EDT 2014

Hi Andrew,
Here's directions:
Take I-95 North to Exit 56 in Branford ("Leete's Island Rd."). At end of ramp turn right. Follow that south for 1.5 miles. At the stop sign, turn left on Rt. 146 (= Leete's Island Rd). You'll be going east toward Guilford. Follow Rt.146 for 2.3 miles to Shell Beach Rd. on the right. (By the way, go very slowly under the narrow curvy RR underpass along the way). Go down Shell Beach Rd a short way, turning right just before the red barn house on the right and park in the small lot. The marsh and shorebird pools are across the street.
The other spot to look at these marsh pools from is to drive back up to Rt 146, and continue a little further on Rt 146 to the east. As you come down the slope, go slowly and look for a dirt pull off on the left. You can park there and walk across Rt 146 to view the marsh from that location. This is where the Wilson's Phalarope has mostly been. It was near the little island.
Good luck,
Frank Mantlik

Sent from my iPhone