[CT Birds] Groton Office Building (Inside)- Common Yellowthroat

Timothy L Thompson tthompso at gdeb.com
Fri Aug 29 10:25:48 EDT 2014

08/29/2014 - 8:02 am - Electric Boat Shipyard - Groton -  Female Common
Yellowthroat.  While sitting at my desk facing my workstation in an old
industrial shipyard building, I heard a sudden feather flutter to my left
and rear, about a foot away on my desk surface.  When I turned there was
nothing!  I knew I heard bird feathers and that it had departed somewhere
to my backside.  I stood up bewildered and looked across our office and
saw NOTHING!  A coworker standing 30 feet away (now behind me) was looking
at me  and said: "Did you see that?"  I said "no, but I heard bird
feathers flapping" .  "A little bird just flew out of your cube", he said.
 Suddenly it just popped up across the office and was standing on a cube
wall.  I knew right away it wasn't a sparrow and I could tell it was some
sort of warbler.   It was backlit by the sun screaming through our factory
windows and the game was on!  I had to identify it and find a way to
release it.  I devised a plan to open at least one window on all four
sides of our second floor office.  I figured I could gently coax it into
one of the openings and the migration would soon continue, and, if I could
get close enough, I could perhaps identify it.  I opened the first window
and spotted the bird in the middle of our office still on the cube wall. I
pished and it flew right near me like I knew what was going on.  It then
promptly took off across the office.  I continued opening up the three
targeted windows.  I lost the bird for a moment and turned around ..."Good
morning Tim, what's going on?" said my MANAGER Matt .  "Well"  I said, "We
have what I believe to be a migrating warbler and it's trapped inside our
office.  I am trying to guide it to one of the open windows".   He smiled
and offered his help and together we managed to guide the warbler into a
corner.  What happened next was amazing.  The warbler flew up and began
fluttering against the corner window pane.  There was a steel beam behind
it that somewhat covered my approach. I stood on a chair and cautiously
slid my hand along the pane as the warbler continued fluttering.  I slowly
moved closer and it then flew right into my hand!  I gently surrounded it
and held still.  I paused for a moment, stepped down off the chair and
walked over to the office entrance.  Just then, guess who walks in the
door? Yup!  MY SUPERVISOR!  I asked him to hold the door for me as I
showed him the beautiful female Common Yellowthroat.  He laughed and
opened up the door as I released her.  It's incredible how tiny, delicate
and colorful they look in your hand.  Ahhhhh!.....what a terrific start to
a Friday morning!!!

Timothy L. Thompson
Norwich, CT