[CT Birds] LPP Friday

Dana Campbell dana.l.campbell at gmail.com
Fri Aug 29 22:35:40 EDT 2014

8/29/14 - New Haven - Lighthouse Point Park Hawkwatch site - 1 COMMON
RAVEN, 8 migrating raptors including 3 Osprey, 3 Broad-winged Hawks, and 2
very distant, very high up unidentified raptors.  Small migrants included
63 Red-winged Blackbirds, 3 Ruby-throated Hummingbirds, 8 Cedar Waxwings,
and 19+ Bobolinks.  Birds in the park included many local Osprey, some
Chimney Swifts, Blue-grey Gnatcatchers, Tree Swallows, a Peregrine Falcon,
an American Kestrel, 2 Red-shouldered Hawks, 2 Turkey Vultures, 2 Cooper's
Hawks, a Sharp-shinned Hawk, and 2 Greater Yellowlegs.
Tomorrow is forecast for no rain and south easterly winds--not usually
favoring migration at our site.  However, the local birds keep things
interesting.  Lots of dragonflies are migrating through.  We saw a wide
variety of species today.

The Rev. Dana L. Campbell
Priest in Charge, Holy Trinity Episcopal Church, Middletown CT
dana.l.campbell at gmail.com

"In order to see birds it is necessary to become part of the silence."
Robert Lynd