[CT Birds] Good early Osprey migration at Audubon Greenwich yesterday

Ryan MacLean ryanmac335 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 30 09:39:45 EDT 2014

Yesterday (8/29) Quaker Ridge Hawk Watch tallied 19 Osprey migrating over Audubon Greenwich, which is an encouraging early sign considering our Osprey numbers last year were very low. There were several groups of 3-4 coming through at high altitude, often at the limits of binoculars.

Besides the Ospreys, 5 Bald Eagles, 8 Broad-Winged Hawks, 3 Kestrels and 2 Unidentified raptors were tallied. 19 Nighthawks were counted in the late afternoon, which pales in comparison to our counts Mon-Wed (327, 72, 67 respectively).

Today's winds have shifted to the SW, but considering yesterday's flight I wouldn't be surprised if more birds came through. Only a few weeks til more birds will mean 1,000+

-Ryan MacLean

Sent from my iPhone