[CT Birds] Good early Osprey migration at Audubon Greenwich yesterday

Steve Mayo and Rebecca Horowitz rsdmayo at sbcglobal.net
Sat Aug 30 11:04:43 EDT 2014

Yesterday as in days past, Lighthouse has had Osprey all day and up to 5 in the sky at once.  Few however are heading South with enthusiasm.

(NOTE:  Coastal people and Connecticut Yankee I-95 corridor inhabitants also call this East to West).

We are also getting good looks at individual Peregrines, Merlin, Kestrels, Red-Shoulders, Red-tails, Cooper's Hawks, etc.  Again, very, very few of these have been officially "counted" so far.

OT, The HawkCount folks want us to count dragonflies as well.  Yesterday we peaked at an estimated 800, of many species.  I can't wait until some real Odonata-philes come down and show us how to do this.  Hopefully in the future, we'll learn so much more and then have a laugh about our primitive tallying and ID skills!

(Heck, we're still getting a chuckle about counting male Coops as female Sharpies; that probably went on for a decade or so...)

Steve Mayo