[CT Birds] Fish in the Sound

Sophie Zyla sophiezyla at snet.net
Sat Aug 30 22:38:47 EDT 2014

I've spent a good portion of the summer on Great Gull Island with the Common  and Roseate Terns. Sand lance and butterfish were scare most of the season. The fishing boats which carry us back and forth also noted the shortage of bait fish. The number off eggs were way down were the chicks banded. The weight of many juveniles  has been low. While mortality may be high even in a good year, it is sad to see so many dead.

Sophie Zyla
Beacon Falls

Sent from my iPhone