[CT Birds] Chester, 8/31 - yardbird: osprey!

teustis at killingworthlibrary.org teustis at killingworthlibrary.org
Sun Aug 31 16:24:02 EDT 2014

Yes, you read that subject line correctly. We've been hearing an osprey
calling in the neighborhood for a couple of months now. There are some
choice bodies of water within about a mile of our house (Cedar Lake,
Killingworth Reservoir, and other sizable ponds), so it's not too
strange to think one would be around - although this is the first year
one has been this consistently vocal. And surrounded by woods as we are,
it seemed a little out of place.
This morning (8/31), we heard osprey again, and it seemed to be staying
in one location. Well, that location turned out to be an oak tree at the
top of our driveway! The bird sat there for about 10 minutes, fell
silent, then flew back off into the woods. We suspect it's checking out
our water garden - we've had red-shouldered hawks and great-blue herons
fish (and frog) from there before, even though it's a tiny body of
water. If osprey can figure out a way to make a catch without taking up
too much wingspan, more power to it! (And that's something I'd love to
see. Sorry, fish and frogs...)
~  Tammy Eustis, Chester