[CT Birds] Tagged and banded Mallards

kmueller at ntplx.net kmueller at ntplx.net
Mon Sep 1 19:17:47 EDT 2014

Does anyone have any information about a Mallard banding/tagging
program using bright yellow bill/nares tags? I spotted 5 eclipse drake
Mallards today in the Leetes Farm Marsh in Guilford this morning with
these bright yellow nares tags. One of the birds flew and it looked
like it also had a leg band. I am not sure if this is a State banding
program, or a private program, or maybe escaped birds from an aviary
of private collection.

Shorebirds in the marsh included three dozen Yellowlegs (about 50/50
Greater/Lesser), many Kildeer, a few Semi-palmated Plovers, 3
Short-billed Dowitcher, only 50 Semi-palmated and Least
Sandpiper....with one larger unidentified Semi-palmated type with
unusual plumage, leg color and bright plumage color.

K Mueller