[CT Birds] Sandy Point Shorebird Bonanza - Buff, Phals, White-rumped and more

Gina Nichol gina at sunrisebirding.com
Mon Sep 1 20:53:10 EDT 2014

This evening Steve Bird and I went to Sandy Point and it was the best birding
I've had there in a long time.  We met Nick Bonomo and his party in the parking
lot and they walked out the beach side while we walked the inside.  There were
hundreds of Common Terns and despite being flushed several times by clammers and
Coast Guard Helicopters, we got good views of many and found a FORSTER'S TERN
among them.  There were good numbers of shorebirds and among them we found two
WHITE-RUMPED SANDPIPERS.  Nick called from the sand bar to report two WILSON'S
PHALAROPES and a BUFF-BREASTED SANDPIPER so we immediately crossed the inlet
(deeper than we thought!) and got good views of those as well as a RED KNOT.  Oh
what a night! Thanks Nick!

FOR ROY:

>From Gina Nichol & Steve Bird
9/1/2014 - West Haven, Sandy Point, 6 - 8 pm, outgoing tide -- FORSTER'S TERN, 2
WHITE-RUMPED SANDPIPERS, RED KNOT, 2 WILSON'S PHALAROPE, BUFF-BREASTED SANDPIPER