[CT Birds] Canada Goose Observations

MIN HUANG mhuang at snet.net
Tue Sep 2 07:22:20 EDT 2014

Hi All,

As part of ongoing research on migrant Canada geese, about 200 neck collars and tarsal bands were placed on Canada Geese in western Greenland this summer. This is the 3rd time that we have placed markers on these birds originating from Greenland.  I am hoping that birders can be on the lookout for these collars this fall and winter.  Typically these geese have a greater whitefront or two tagging along with them in the flock, so all the more reason to keep your eyes peeled!

The collars are yellow with black alphanumerics and the series are:

 GPn, GSn, GTn, GUn, GVn, GXn, GnA, GnB, GnC, GnD, GnF, GnH, GnJ, GnL, GnN (i.e. where n can be a digit between 1 and zero) Series G2n, G3n, G4n, G5n, G6n, G7n, G8n, G9n (i.e. where n can be a digit between 1 and zero)

And the following 2 symbol tarsus bands only (fitted to goslings too small to bear a neck collar):

Series Gx, Gn and Hx (where n can be a digit between 1 and zero and x can be a letter between A and Z)

Please report sightings to the USGS BBL online.  You can also go to: http://greenland2013.wikispaces.com/Recoveries+and+resightings

Thank you!!

Min Huang
Columbia CT