[CT Birds] Green Heron behavior

Paul Desjardins paul.desjardins2 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 4 18:19:21 EDT 2014

This morning there was a Green Heron perched in a tree alongside a pond adjacent to Research Parkway. It had a HUGE fish stuck in his beak that he had trouble swallowing. Several times he lowered his head and neck as if trying to dislodge his prey only to then lift his neck and head in an apparent attempt to swallow his prey. This went on for some time and when I finally left he still had not swallowed his prey so I can only hope that he somehow got the fish down! This was in Meriden.

Paul Desjardins
Windsor Locks