[CT Birds] Nighthawks question

Steve Mayo and Rebecca Horowitz rsdmayo at sbcglobal.net
Thu Sep 4 20:22:51 EDT 2014

I'd never heard that term for Nighthawks.  A flock of hawks riding a thermal is called a "kettle".  The diurnal raptors appear as graceful bubbles, boiling lazily higher and higher.

The flight of a flock of Nighthawks is loosely streaming and erratic.  I think a better term would be a "spillage".

Steve Mayo
Bethany