[CT Birds] Hamden - Upper Lake Whitney Cycle, Sep 4, 2014

Arthur Shippee ashippee at snet.net
Thu Sep 4 20:33:51 EDT 2014

1)  Lake Whitney dam work done, & dam closed, so the lake is beginning to refill.  Not very fast, of course!

2)  Still lots of shore birds around, certainly solitaries & killdeer, & some others I couldn't make out.  Also a Merlin went over.  Flo, it flew over RWA water.  A dozen GBH's!  & others.  Plus various animal tracks in the mud.

3)  Just on the up-river side of the Whitney Ave. bridge, one can see some remains of the old rail line that must have crossed there back before the dam was in.  It's usually under water.

Begin forwarded message: