[CT Birds] Sandy Point Avocet feeding with Wilson's Phalaropes

Colleen Lord clordtalbot at gmail.com
Fri Sep 5 23:29:01 EDT 2014

6pm-7:30pm Gorgeous Avocet giving great views resting where Mark notes (thanks for the tip Mark!). About 7:30pm moved to end of shorter point and not long thereafter began darting back and forth at water's edge feeding very feistily with open bill scooping whatever treats it could. Right away the 2 Phalaropes were on either side darting back and forth feeding as well. This trio stayed together at least twenty minutes until it was just too dark to see them and several Great Blue Herons and Black-Crowned Night-Herons started swooping in stealing our attention. The Avocet flew back nearer to the treatment plant with the Phalaropes following. Incredibly fun to watch these beauties!

Colleen Lord
Milford CT

Sent from my iPhone