[CT Birds] Avocet, West Haven

Nick Bonomo nbonomo at gmail.com
Sat Sep 6 20:29:37 EDT 2014

Mark,

I saw the Avocet today at Sandy Point, though not at very close range, and
did attempt to age it. I did note that the bird had a slight buffy wash to
its hindneck and showed no signs of flight feather molt to my eye when it
flew - good points for a juvenile. I did not appreciate pale fringes nor or
a brownish tinge to the back feathers, though this may be subtle(?). I'm
calling it a probable juvenile, though not terribly confidently. Not the
easiest shorebirds to age IMO, though maybe that's just because I rarely
see them at this time of year. It appears to be a male based on the rather
shallowly upturned bill.

Nick Bonomo
Wallingford, CT
www.shorebirder.com