[CT Birds] Sandy Point miscellany

Nick Bonomo nbonomo at gmail.com
Sat Sep 6 21:21:28 EDT 2014

I know there were many, many birders at Sandy Point throughout the day
today. Here are some things that may or may not have hit the listserv yet:

 - Mark Aronson had 3 HUDSONIAN GODWITS make a low pass over the lagoon
before continuing west (so keep an eye out from Sandy Pt westward). This
was sometime during early afternoon.

 - There was an incredible feeding frenzy in the harbor during and after
the storms this evening that included some 10,000 combined Common Terns and
Laughing Gulls. The sight was one to behold. Among the several swarming
flocks were many FORSTER'S TERNS and a single juvenile BLACK TERN picked
out by Steve Bird.

 - I do not believe that anyone saw the Wilson's Phalaropes today. One
BUFF-BREASTED SANDPIPER was elusive but was seen off and on. The AVOCET was
feeding in the lagoon after the storms had passed.

Nick Bonomo
Wallingford, CT
www.shorebirder.com