[CT Birds] Hamden: Upper Lake Whitney Cycle, Sep 1, 2014

Arthur Shippee ashippee at snet.net
Mon Sep 1 21:16:40 EDT 2014

Hamden:  upper Lake Whitney circuit (Servoss, Mather, Waite, Whitney).  Over 30 species on a late afternoon walk, Mary & myself, around the upper lake.  It's still very low, with large mudflats, especially north of Waite.  Several Killdeer, some Solitary Sandpipers, I think some other shorebirds;  a gazillion Great Blue Heron, maybe even 8, also quite a number of Green Heron.  Really a gazillion Wood Duck, in various stages of undress.  There have been several Flickers around quite visibly (and that gold shafting in the sun is one of birding's glories).  Starlings molting, odd-looking, but their fresh coat is lovely.

Imm.  Bald Eagle (presumably visiting from State St., only a couple of miles away) on a branch north of Waite then flying off:  impressively big birds, Eagles are.

Anyone who wants to help get some Lake Whitney records of shore birds is welcome to bring a scope, either to Waite, or Greenway St.

Begin forwarded message: