[CT Birds] Nighthawk Question

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Wed Sep 3 20:33:22 EDT 2014

Ben, yes, Nighthawks fly in flocks, sometimes very large ones,  and
particularly during migration. And with the white stripe there is little  doubt
that's what you saw. They are pretty unique.
The flocks are looser than say, Starlings and not structured  like Canada
Geese, and they often feed in flocks, "hawking" insects at,  sometimes,
considerable height. During fall migration I have only seen  them  from an hour
or so till sunset to perhaps an hour after. I don't  know, but they may
actually feed all night. "Nighthawks".
 In the spring, however, I have seen very large numbers of  Nighthawks in
Texas and Arizona very actively feeding all day long, and still in  flocks.
Don Morgan,  Coventry
mntncougar at aol.com