[CT Birds] Nighthawks question

Steve Mayo and Rebecca Horowitz rsdmayo at sbcglobal.net
Thu Sep 4 20:22:51 EDT 2014

I'd never heard that term for Nighthawks.  A flock of hawks riding a thermal is called a "kettle".  The diurnal raptors appear as graceful bubbles, boiling lazily higher and higher.

The flight of a flock of Nighthawks is loosely streaming and erratic.  I think a better term would be a "spillage".  

Steve Mayo

On Thursday, September 4, 2014 8:03 AM, Bensilano via CTBirds <ctbirds at lists.ctbirding.org> wrote:

Just found out from Dave Lawton of Avon; a flock of Nighthawks is really called a "kettle". 
Ben in New Hartford 
This list is provided by the Connecticut Ornithological Association (COA) for the discussion of birds and birding in Connecticut.
For subscription information visit http://lists.ctbirding.org/mailman/listinfo/ctbirds_lists.ctbirding.org

More information about the CTBirds mailing list