[CT Birds] Green Heron behavior

lpflynn at optonline.net lpflynn at optonline.net
Fri Sep 5 13:05:18 EDT 2014

I'm guessing it was about ten or so years ago that I watched a Double-crested Cormorant trying to swallow a thirty inch eel.
This was at Cockenoe Island near the sandspit.
The eel must have gotten pretty beat up as the battle went on for about 15 minutes, the Corm finally won and downed the eel like a string of spaghetti.
I'll never forget this incident as the bird almost had the eel down several times, I could see the birds throat going ballistic as the eel turned around and popped out a few times, just not the last time.
I was using film back then and had some great photos of the event, unfortunately I no longer have the photos or the negatives.
That was cool to watch!

Larry Flynn