[CT Birds] Sandy Point shorebirds, etc

James Winkelmann james.winkelmann at gmail.com
Fri Sep 5 13:38:59 EDT 2014

Well documented at this point, but fantastic morning at Sandy Point:

Sandy Point Bird Sanctuary, West Haven, Sept. 5th, 2014, 10:00-12:15

1 American Avocet - initially roosting in the cove by the treatment
facility, then around noon as we headed back in from the point it was
actively feeding in the shallows, darting around chasing fish, offering
satisfying looks in good light
1 Red Knot
1 Buff-breasted Sandpiper
2 Wilson's Phalarope
2 Caspian Terns
Least Sandpipers
Semi Sandpipers
8 Black-bellied Plovers
1 Greater Yellowlegs
1 Willet
1 Horned Grebe
1 Greater Scaup
3 Osprey
Laughing Gull
Ring-Billed Gull
Mute Swan
DC Cormorant
Am. Black Duck
Great Egret
Snowy Egret

Best looks ever at Knot, Buff-breasted, and Phalarope -- at various times
we had the birds foraging the nearby wrack line on the beach maybe 20-30
feet away, largely indifferent to the 6 guys gawking at them.

2 year birds and a life bird, I'll take it!

James Winkelmann
Monroe, CT