[CT Birds] Hamden - Upper Lake Whitney Cycle, Sep 5, 2014

Arthur Shippee ashippee at snet.net
Fri Sep 5 18:13:23 EDT 2014

Water still very low, but refilling.

1)  I'm pretty sure I had a Peregrin today, & not a Merlin.  It looked more crow-size, I thought I saw "mustache" the one time it circled appropriately, and its hunting was all done by circling around the mudflats, with one good stoop, & then circling higher & higher.  Is the size & hunting diagnostic for Peregrin over Merlin?  Thanks for your help.

2)  Many smaller shorebirds, beyond my technology & skill.

3)  Lesser & Greater Yellowlegs.  (& nb:  previous reports:  I might have seen Lesser YL & misid'ed them as Solitary -- with all the mud on their legs, it can be hard to tell!)

And I had conversations with various people wondering about the lake level -- one guy paused and said, "End times!  End times!"  Um, no, bridge mechanics, bridge mechanics.

Begin forwarded message: